Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2016 Home Front Memories

It's fun to go through pictures from the last year to see what happened on the home front. A little trip down memory lane...

In January we were still enjoying our newly painted WHITE kitchen cabinets. We did add trim to the island to give it more definition. Also adding under cabinet lighting definitely brightened up the space. Since it was the dead of winter with dreary days this was a perfect winter project.






 By the time February came Tennessee had been covered with days of snow. Projects had to be of the indoor type. Spending days viewing the walls gave me a chance to brighten up the spaces by lightening the wall color. Previously I had painted the open space living area Mindful Gray. I was searching for a warmer and lighter gray tone. Agreeable Gray (SW) looked so light on the paint sample but proved to satisfy my need for more light.

Mindful Gray (SW)

Agreeable Gray (SW)

March rolled in and I was still striving for more white in my life! Target came to the rescue as I found the bookcases to flank the fireplace. It must have been meant to be because the bookcases barely fit in the space. Of course I would rather have custom built ones but these satisfied my needs. The mirrors above each do reflect the light from the windows.


I sold the tables that had been stained and added new ones. The sofa table, coffee table, and end tables all have cabinets with windows. I am still not sure of how to decorate inside but have placed the many remotes my husband has accumulated. A win is a win!

Spring arrived finally! When the days warmed and the time to think of outdoor projects arrived, I was singing on the inside! Ferns are my favorite plant to begin the summer planting season.


The dogwood trees blossomed and all was right in my world!


May arrived and we traveled to Vegas. Talk about pretty decor--is a moment in time of enjoying the beauty of nature. Vegas is a wonderland!



The final change to our living room was the addition of a white slipcovered sofa and loveseat. I researched the pros and cons of white but I only read of pros. Since they were slipcovered it was possible to wash them as needed. After living with the Ikea Ektorp set for six months I can totally agree. It isn't a pain to wash them and it gives such a feeling of lounging on CLEAN furniture. The smell is also wonderful--especially since our schnauzer thinks they are his sofa too!



The last small changes to the house this year were both in the kitchen. A glass front corner cabinet became a black hole because there was no light and the inside of the cabinet hadn't been painted. I painted the inside of that and also changed the breakfront from dark wood to the same West Highland (SW) color of the cabinets. I think my home has been transformed by the use of paint from dark and dreary to a warm and sunny white!



All in all, my trip down memory lane for 2016 has been a refreshing one!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished | Copyright 2016